Useful tips can be found at the N.H. Downloadable Books blog, or by clicking on the HELP box at the top left corner of the N.H. Downloadable Books webpage.
New and improved apps (try Libby for OverDrive!) and Overdrive software means you can download and use these free titles on almost any device or computer.
The library can lend you an audio book player or eBook reader: find out more HERE.
Audio book formats: See compatible device lists at Overdrive.com
- mp3 audio: can be used on almost any device that plays audio, including some eBook readers.
eBook formats: (please note that some publishers currently limit or refuse to sell their titles for library lending, or charge much higher prices to libraries, especially for eBooks).
- Kindle ebooks for Kindle readers and Kindle apps. You will need an Amazon.com account. Amazon keeps information about your Kindle book borrowing habits. You can create an anonymous account for your library checkouts if you do not need to purchase ebooks. Ebooks in Kindle’s .mobi format are also available free at the Gutenberg Project (see below).
- Adobe EPUB ebooks for non-Kindle ebook readers.
- On some tablets, apps for both Kindle and EPUB formats are available. Both formats can be read on any windows PC computer. Some tablets (older Nook or simple Kindles) require transfer via computer even if you can see the book on the mobile web interface.
- OverDrive READ and OverDrive LISTEN can be read directly without downloading, on almost any device that has a regular web browser, while connected to the Internet.
- Libby for OverDrive app is available free for any device that can use apps, and makes using OverDrive downloadable audio or eBooks a breeze.
Other Free Downloadable Books
Until August 31, 2020, Tumble Books has made their ebook and audiobook database available for free via libraries and schools. see more HERE: Tumblebooks
Project Gutenberg offers free classics as unrestricted eBooks in many formats, at https://www.gutenberg.org/
“Free eBooks: The Ultimate Guide” https://www.freebooknotes.com/
The N.H. Downloadable Books service is supported by funds from participating libraries and the Park Street Foundation, 20 Park St., Concord, NH 03301. Donations may be made to the Foundation for the purchase of additional titles, or to the Pillsbury Free Library to assist or supplement our annual membership fee. Donations for Downloadable Books service are used 100% for title purchases, not administrative costs.